Thursday, May 13, 2010

How marriage affects my FAFSA application?

Heres the story:


My fiance and I are ready to get married at anytime and we are really just planning on getting married whenever we feel like it. I am thinking about filling out a FAFSA to see if i can get aid for Spring of 2007. I have never gotten aid before, my parents have paid it all.


My parents claimed me on their taxes this year, so if i get married in the next month or so, then fill out the FAFSA, will i have to use THEIR(my parents) tax and income information, or will I be able to use mine and my husbands info as far as income and taxes????





THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! please do not refer me to the website, i looked there already.How marriage affects my FAFSA application?
Marital status is as of the day you fill out your FAFSA. If you get married this weekend and fillout your fafsa on monday you would include both yours and yuor new spouse's 2005 tax info, even though you were not married in 2005. If you fill out the fafsa today and then get married this weekend you will need your's and your parent's (if you are under 24) information. Marital status can not be changed mid year, so what ever choice you make will be good till the 0708 FAFSA. If you want to try and see the different results visit the calculator section of www.finaid.org for the EFC calculator.How marriage affects my FAFSA application?
You definitely should. Now that you are married you will not have to count your parents income. This could mean that you now potentially qualify for the Pell Grant and other need based aid, including stafford loans. Life has been so much easier for me with financial aid since I turned 24 (another way to be able to stop counting your parents income and be considered independant). Congratulations!
Well, if you are getting married, then the government will look at your husband's income also. If he is financially able to support you, then you FAFSA application will be rejected. You only need your info, your husband's, and your parents.
it goes on the previous year's tax form. so it will be your parents income since they claimed you for the last tax filing. You won't be able to use your husband's until the next year after the two of you have taxes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment