Thursday, May 13, 2010

I am Catholic but was married outside the church. Can I still receive the sacrament of marriage?

My husband is protestant and we intend to remain married. I regret now that I wasn't married in the church/tradition I grew up in and was wondering if it's still possible to receive the sacrament of marriage?I am Catholic but was married outside the church. Can I still receive the sacrament of marriage?
Yes, all you have to do is have your marriage convalidated, then you can receive all the other sacraments. Some people call it having your marraige blessed but that is inaccurate. Your marraige is already blessed. Your husband does not have to convert, but he will have to agree to raise the children Catholic. There are too many reasons to fully explain all the teaching behind the practice in just a few paragraphs, but that answers your question in a nut shell.





here are some resosurces for you:


Bringing Your Marriage Into the Church


http://www.americancatholic.org/newslett鈥?/a>





How to have a marriage convalidated or acknowledged in the Catholic Church


http://www.ehow.com/how_4615814_marriage鈥?/a>





It would be a good idea to attend Mass when you can, and make an appointment to talk to the priest.





Welcome home:)I am Catholic but was married outside the church. Can I still receive the sacrament of marriage?
The cure for this situation is to just be married. The first marriage according to Catholic Doctrine is doubtfully valid, many versions of the ceremony exist and you might not be able to get a copy of the words used in it.





If the Protestant party intends to not convert, then the ceremony is not held in the church, but in the sacristy to the side, if there is one.





Of course, the Conciliarists have rewritten the Canon Laws in 1983, twenty years after they had already been changing the sacramental matter and form, so perhaps they also changed what Trent says on lawful matrimonial ceremonies.
I was married in a catholic church, my hubby has no religion(he believes he just doesnt have a religion). I had to go to a class and then I could get married in the church..talk to the Father at your church...you may just have to get re-married. Your hubby doesn't have to convert...but if he loves you he should get married in a church so that you will feel better about yourself. Maybe you can just have a simple small ceremony to pacify the church.
I'm not positive, but I think he needs to be Catholic, too, in order for it to be considered a sacrament in the Church. Don't hold me to this, because I'm not sure...


I think the Catechism of the Catholic Church is online somewhere, I would definitely go check that out and see what it says.


Best of luck!
The Church probably already recognizes your marriage. It can and will bless the marriage bond that already exists.





This is called a Convalidation of Marriage. Here is an article about the steps involved: http://www.americancatholic.org/Newslett鈥?/a>





Talk to your parish priest to get the process started.





For more information, see the Code of Canon Law, paragraphs 1156 and following: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__鈥?/a>





With love and prayers in Christ.
They will probably require you to take marriage encounter/counseling classes first. It was required last I heard of any couple marrying in the Church. Best bet though is checking with your local parish. They might wave that part if you have been together for awhile.
Yes you can still be married in the Church, since the Church does not see you as married currently. A Catholic can marry a non-Catholic in the Catholic Church. It happens all the time.
Sure it is, possible. As long as you have no impediments to marriage, you can have your marriage blessed and recognized by the Church. Pax Christi
Yes of course you can.All you must do is have you and your Husband meet with the Priest and make arrangements to have your marriage blessed and confirmed in the Catholic Church.
Just go talk to the priest have your marriage blessed then you can receive the sacraments.Yes you can get married again in the church.
So you're asking if believing in one false myth lets you join in an imaginary cerimony with someone believing in another false myth? mmmm...let's see now...ok...here's my answer....who cares?
So why are you now in such a tizzy? You kinda answered your own question, which shows how much of a cult the Catholicism really is! You are suppose to have a ';relationship'; with Jesus, not a traditional dog and pony show! Get over it, and love your hubby, and Jesus, I did the same thing, the ONLY reason was to get my folks off my back, just made a mess of our relationship, wasn't worth it at all!.Brought no glory to The Lord, just my folks to save face in the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment