Thursday, January 21, 2010

I have a report to do on marriage in the 1900s. Where should I go for research?

I have to do a reaction paper for English about marriage in the 1900s, but I dont know how to start.





Any pointers on where to research?





-Do NOT answer ';google it';.


-No Wikipedia.


-Don't answer unless you want to actually give me assistance, I can actually, you know, use.I have a report to do on marriage in the 1900s. Where should I go for research?
If your grandparents are still around ask them.... they would be great for research.I have a report to do on marriage in the 1900s. Where should I go for research?
I would recommend something like the Encyclopedia of Women's History. That might be a good place to start.





Marriage changed quite a bit in the 1900's. With WWI, women started to move into the workforce and become more independent. During the '20s and '30s the entire perception of women changed. From the more full-bodied ';homely'; type of woman to the skinnier more frail looking figure we know in popular culture today.





A Woman's history text would focus on these changes and elaborate on them. That would give you a good look at how marriage was. Women at this time had very few rights marriage wise (they really couldn't divorce easily), even though they gained the right to vote.





That's where I would recommend you start. After that, you could try to search for some primary source articles from magazines or something like that. Perhaps some things written by feminists in the 1900's.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment