Saturday, January 23, 2010

What does the Mormon Church believe about marriage?

Does the Mormon Church encourage age difference in marriage. I know of several situations where several Mormons have a 20 year age difference in their marriage. Is it okay for Mormon women to marry men much older?What does the Mormon Church believe about marriage?
Church leaders don't get involved in who we marry. They do caution us to marry those with similar values as ourselves, but that's just common sense. Marriages between very different people don't work as well.





Still, there aren't any rules. I can't see church leaders encouraging a marriage between, say, a very young girl and an older man (or, I suppose, a young man and an older woman), but as long as the girl is legal, that's her call. Marriage is a personal thing, and church leaders don't really have any say in our choice of spouse.What does the Mormon Church believe about marriage?
Mormons believe that husband and wife should be equal partners in the marriage relationship. So I suppose this means there needs to be approximate maturity equality between man and woman. If that reads as a specification for women to marry older men (since men mature slower than women)... then so be it. But, I've never heard a discussion of age at church, nor have I ever read anything doctrinal in the Bible or anything.





However, on a funnier note, once I was talking with my brother (29 yrs. old and single) I jokingly asked him if he has any age boundaries. He told me that the minimum age that he will ever date is (his current age + 13) / 2 == so that means his current minimum age is (29+13)/2=21. You can see that (if this is a real rule and not a joke) that the allowable age difference increases with his own age. I suppose if you followed this rule you would have to be like 50 before you marry a girl that is 20 yrs younger. But, that is hardly church doctrine.
I only know one Mormon couple like that. After my uncle and his first wife divorced he married a much younger woman. The church neither encourages nor discourages an age difference in marriage. They don't say a single word about it. My hubby is 2 years older than me. I'd say we're about the norm. In fact, aside from the one that I previously mentioned, I can't think of a single couple who have more than a 6 year age difference.





Now, why wouldn't it be ';ok'; for Mormon women to marry older? Other people do it. Is there something wrong with that? It's not my cup of tea but love doesn't always fall within our ideologies.





And to the poster above, Mormons don't believe marriage is till death do us part. Mormons believe that if you're sealed in a temple, your marriage can be eternal.
There are many things within the church that we are simply taught correct principles with which we may govern ourselves and then left to our own devices. This would be one of those things. I would say it is very rare for that kind of age difference to happen. Culturally the reaction to it would vary depending on where you are at but I have never ran into a case where it was encouraged.





What do we believe about marriage?


The Family:A Proclamation to the World, summarizes our beliefs on the family.
My Mom died and my Dad was alone. My Mom's sister's husband died and she is alone so my Aunt and my Dad sometimes go out, it is weird to me (they are both Mormon and married ot their spouces in the temple) but they are old enough.
Mormons see marriage just as any other Christian would.





Death do us part.





Mormons are known for being very tight family oriented.
Encourage? No. Most of the married Mormon couples I know are within 5 years of being the same age of each other.
we dont encourge it but we dont care as long as the person treats you right and loves you than thats what matters
I don't think the Mormon church has anything specific to say about it.
google it?
It's okay for anybody to marry men that are much older. The only specifications I ever heard about age difference was that each new wife should be about 5 years younger than the last.
U can marry more than one woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment